If like me you live in England at the moment you know how important this rainbow cake is and what it stands for! Our amazing NHS!
This is my first time making a rainbow cake- lock down has definitely given me my fair share of first times! I really enjoyed making this, and as worried as i was that it would look as good as it did in my mind, and it had alot of ups and downs making this cake but thats baking!
- 680 g self-raising flour
- 680 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 170 g vegetable oil
- 510 g buttermilk room temperature
- 340 g butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- food coloring- as many colors as you’d like.
For the icing-
- 280g butter softened
- 560g icing sugar
- 2-4 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Firstly you want to set the oven to 180 degrees fan oven.
- now time to make the cake batter- sieve the dry ingredients together.
- in another bowl crack the eggs and whisk until light and fluffy add to the cake mix along with the oil, butter milk, butter and vanilla- whisk in between adding each thing to insure its all added in.
- Once the batter is ready- get 6 different bowls and spoon the same amount of mix into each.
- Once you’ve separated them add the different food coloring into each and mix them up! Now all the colors in you can start cooking.
- I only have 2 cake tins, so i cooked 2 colors at a time- baking for 20 mins.
- While everything is baking prepare your butter cream- mix the butter, vanilla, milk and icing sugar in a bowl with an electric whisk- until smooth and creamy- put in the fridge.
- I used the time while baking and cooling to prepare my toppings and fillings!
- Once all the cakes are cooked and cooled its time to make the cake!
- stack the layers on top of each other- filling each part with buttercream to make it stick and make it extra yum. Once its all together- get a cookie cutter and cut down the middle of the cake removing the middle section- add in your multi colored sweets and treats. Cover the rest of the cake in the butter cream icing and decorate the top how you wish!