When i was younger i never ate coffee cake, firstly because i didn’t like coffee (so that seems pretty obvious) and secondly because i thought it was stuffy and a silly idea for a cake. But this year on mothers day i decided to make my mum her favorite cake because it was mothers day after all- and so she should really get to eat what she wants. Her favorite cake is coffee cake- and making it really won me over!
I made the icing with coffee and chocolate- so even though the cake is coffee cake, the topping is mocha, which injected a little bit of me into a classic cake.
This cake saw me through the first week of lock-down, the perfect mid afternoon, or morning or mid day snack with a cup of tea. So i have to say, i’m sorry to all the years i said i hate coffee cake- because i was really wrong.
- 70g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp instant coffee- watered down, or coffee extract.
For the Icing-
- 200g Butter
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Coffee Flavoring
- 50g Coco Powder
- Mix the butter and sugar together until its smooth and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and flour gratuarly- in 3 sections.
- Once its all included, fold it in with a spoon. Add the baking powder and coffee flavoring.
- Butter the cake tins- and put equal amounts of the coffee cake mix in each.
- Cook at 180 degrees for 20-25 mins.
- leave to cool.
- while the cake is cooling make the icing.
- Put the butter, icing sugar, coco powder and coffee in a bowl and using an electric whisk combine them all together until its fluffy.
- Sandwich the cake together with a good amount of icing in the middle, finish with some chocolate chippings and walnuts.