A good lemon drizzle cake, covered in sour but sweet drizzle is my top favorite cake, so many people love it, so it always goes down a treat.
This cake was made for my stepdad, he lives for cake of any kind, but lemon drizzle is his favorite. I wanted to add something a little fun to the cake, so it wasn’t just a basic lemon drizzle, and i had an abundance of raspberry’s at home so it worked well.
What you’ll Need:
For the Cake:
- 125g Unsalted Butter
- 175g caster Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 175g Self- Raising Flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 table spoons of milk
- 1 lemon for zest
- ½ orange for zest
- Handful of raspberry’s
For the icing and the Syrup:
- Freeze Dried Raspberry’s
- Lemon Juice
- Icing Sugar
- Pre Heat the oven to 180 degrees fan
- Cream the butter and sugar together, add both the zests and fold them in, as well as the pre mixed eggs.
- Fold in the flour- in sections as well as the salt.
- Slowly add the milk and mix until airy fairy, and then add the raspberry’s and do a tiny mix.
- Spoon into the buttered tin and cook for 45mins- or until the knife comes out clean.
- Half way through cooking prep the icing, by putting the icing sugar into the bowl and adding the lemon juice so that its thick enough not to all run off the cake but also thin enough to “drizzle” and get the freeze dried raspberry’s ready.
- Then prep the syrup, heat the lemon juice and add the icing sugar until clear.
- Once the cake is out the oven, transfer to the cooling rack and brush over the syrup over the whole cake- place a paper towel under the cake so that it doesn’t drip all over the kitchen top.
- Once the cake is cool, add the icing- in large amounts to the top and decorate with the dried raspberry’s.